High Five Conference Code of Conduct
High Five Conference is dedicated to providing a harassment-free conference experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age or religion.
We do not tolerate harassment of conference participants in any form. Conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the conference organizers.
Harassment and/or harassing someone includes, but is not limited to:
- Verbal comments disparaging anyone based on gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age or religion.
- Sexual images in public spaces
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- Harassing photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Inappropriate physical contact
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately
Exhibitors, speakers, and sponsors—whether at the expo hall, sponsor or vendor booths, workshops, presentations, or similar activities—are also subject to the anti-harassment policy. In particular, exhibitors, speakers, and sponsors should not use harassing or sexualized images, activities, or other material. Booth staff (including volunteers) should not use harassing or sexualized clothing/uniforms/costumes, or otherwise create a harassing or sexualized environment.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, event organizers retain the right to take any actions to keep the event a welcoming environment for all participants. This includes warning the offender or expulsion from the conference with no refund.
Event organizers may take action to redress anything designed to, or with the clear impact of, disrupting the event or making the environment hostile for any participants.
We expect participants to follow these rules at all event venues and event-related social activities.
If someone makes you or anyone else feel harassed, unsafe or unwelcome, or you witness inappropriate behavior as described here, please report it as soon as possible to a member of the conference staff. Harassment and other code of conduct violations reduce the value of our event for everyone. We want you to be happy at our event. People like you make our event a better place.
You can make an anonymous report here, via the contact form: http://www.highfiveconference.com/Raleigh-2017/contact/
We can’t follow up an anonymous report with you directly, but we will fully investigate it and take whatever action we deem responsible or necessary to prevent a recurrence.
You can make an in-person report by:
- Calling or messaging this phone number: 919-442-8799. This phone number will be regularly monitored for the duration of the event.
- Contacting a staff member, identified by staff badges.
- When taking an in-person report, our staff will take reasonable steps to ensure you are safe and cannot be overheard. They may involve other event staff to ensure your report is managed properly. Once safe, we’ll ask you to tell us about what happened. This can be upsetting, but we’ll handle it as respectfully as possible, and you can bring someone to support you. You won’t be asked to confront anyone and we won’t tell anyone who you are, unless required by law.
- Our team will be happy to help you contact hotel/venue security, local law enforcement, local support services, provide escorts, or otherwise assist you to feel safe for the duration of the event. We value your attendance.
- Conference Director: Leah Dorsey, firstname.lastname@example.org, 919-410-6224
- Anonymous Reporting Form: http://www.highfiveconference.com/Raleigh-2017/contact/
- Sheraton Raleigh Hotel: 919-834-9900
- Emergency: 9-1-1
- Raleigh Police Department Non-Emergency: 919-831-6311
- Sexual Assault Hotline: 866-291-0853
- Taxi Taxi: 919-333-3333